About The Extension Corps
The University of Maine Cooperative Extension (UMaine Extension), like many Maine employers, is experiencing the exodus of a significant number of its staff due to retirement.
At the same time, research shows that 3 out of 5 retirees return to the workforce in some capacity within 18 months of retiring.
As a way of creatively easing the talent shortage and providing meaningful work to its retirees, UMaine Extension has launched an innovative initiative, Extension Corps. The initiative matches retirees with short-term, part-time projects serving Maine residents.
Who are the participants in the Extension Corps?
Former Extension staff and faculty who...
- have retired from Extension
- desire a greater sense of purpose in life and want to continue making a difference for the people of Maine
- are ready to work part-time, on a project-to-project basis
- want to leverage their extensive experience and skills while being compensated
- intend to keep learning and remain engaged in meaningful work